Monday, June 6, 2011

Movie Mondays!



I usually just have one movie for Movie Mondays, but I was able to catch 2 over the weekend - one via Redbox, the other in the real-deal theatre!

"Love and Other Drugs"

I love both actors in this movie (Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway) so that was one of the main reasons why I rented it.  The story starts off almost like a comedy - kinda fast paced, funny dialogue, etc. But by the end, it was very dramatic and almost seemed like a different movie.  I don't want to give the whole story away, but I'll give you the basics: Jake's character, Jamie,  works for Pfizer, slowly learning the trade of being a pharmaceutical rep and all the obstacles that come with it. He meets Anne's character, Maggie, who is your typical hippie/artist/free-spirit kind of girl. One small catch: she has Parkinson's. And she's 26. She is very much a commitment-phobe (due to her illness) and tries her best to resist Jamie's charm and genuine concern for her well-being. And you'll just have to watch the movie to find out what happens next :) Some people I've talked to didn't love it, and for me, it was one of those "Glad I watched it, but probably won't watch it again" kind of films. But hey, if nothing else, these 2 deliver a LOT of eye candy! 

Oh, and the movie is set in 1996, which I loved. I feel like nowadays, movies are either modern-day or back in the 60s or hundreds of years ago. It was fun to see the fashions I remember wearing when I was in middle/high school! 

"X-Men: First Class"

My husband desperately wanted to see this movie, and I  had seen all the other X-men flicks, so I figured, why not? It definitely did not disappoint! I love prequels (I guess that's what this was?) and the backstories of characters, how they came to be, etc. The movie takes place during WWII and the early 60s - the costuming was fabulous! I thought the casting was pretty good too - James McAvoy played a young Charles Xavier and Kevin Bacon had a pretty amazing performance as Sebastian Shaw (the bad guy!). January Jones (one of my favorites!) is the villainess Emma Frost and her outfits (entirely of white) were very 60s mod-inspired - loved it!

There were also a few cameos by previous X-Men characters, which totally caught me by surprise, but it was perfectly timed and pretty amusing. (No, I won't tell you who they were so you can go see the movie!) Hard to tell if there will be another X-Men movie, but the way it ended, in a "It's not over" kind of way makes me think this isn't the final installment.. I mean, it was a prequel, so yes technically you could just go back and watch the first one and it would make sense. But I wouldn't be surprised if come out with another one in a few years.

Still need to see Pirates and Hangover 2! What movies have you seen (and loved!) recently??

No comments:

Post a Comment